Linksys Velop is a whole-house Wi-Fi System or mesh-router system, which makes use of multiple routers to generate and transmit strong and consistent internet signals throughout the house.
Linksys Velop is a product of the future because it doesn’t work on the same principle as that of a traditional router, hence being able to deliver faster and more reliable internet connectivity to users. You can make the unit work like a Wi-Fi Extender by adding either a new router or a new node to the existing mesh-router system. However, it is going to be more powerful and faster, hence resulting in a more robust Wi-Fi setup.
Linksys Velop is available as a single unit and as well as in a pack of three. However, you have the option to add as many nodes as you want without worrying as to what will be the Wi-Fi names and passwords of those additional nodes because there will be a single Wi-Fi name and password. With this incredible system installed in the house, roaming from one corner of the room to another will not be much of a problem, as the transition between each node will be seamless and the signal will never be lost.
How To Perform Linksys Velop Setup?
Setting up Linksys Velop is simplest from the most annoying things at the same time. That is an awkward combination, to say the least, but that’s how it is with Velop.
- The ability of the device to entirely set up with the help of Linksys mobile app offers simplicity. The app is available for both iOS and Android devices. Download the app, sign up using your email ID and other details, and begin with adding your nodes.
- The app properly acts as a guiding light for Linksys router setup, letting you know about each and every connection. The app contains all the information regarding connection and configuration of each node and determining its location whether it is suitable or not. In a nutshell, the app is very slick.
- There are two ways of setting up Linksys Velop, i.e., you can either have the Velop devices acting as access points in order to work with an existing router. If your router supports USB sharing, then that feature will also remain available. The second method is to have one of the nodes replace your existing router and the rest as access points. That sums up the simplicity part and now comes, where you will start to get frustrated.
- The first reason for getting all riled up with the system because there won’t be any option outside of the app route. While every other router is providing a web-based menu system, Linksys Velop has forgotten to do the same. There is a system, but Linksys has somehow managed to make it difficult to access, and it’s also written that the service is only for Linksys Personnel.
- This implies that the configuration and troubleshooting of Linksys Velop Wi-Fi System can only be done if you have a smartphone or a tablet with a Linksys app on it.
- Even if you install the app, you are not going through the setup process in a jiffy, as it is a slow process that will take around five minutes for setting up each node. The more nodes you have, the more time it is going to take.
- The system will automatically apply firmware updates, which most often than not takes place at night when the internet usage is minimum to nil. The downloading of the updates occur and they run as soon as the system is set up, adding another few minutes to the starting process. In total, it will take around 30 minutes to get the system up and running.
- Linksys Velop features a synced router along with a hub pair, which you need to plug in followed by turning it on. Wait for two minutes so that the device can boot up and sync, and as it does, it is all set to work. You can change the default settings of the system from the menu, but if you are content with the default settings, then the Velop setup concludes right here.
Linksys has developed a very simplified system that can be accessed by anyone, even a person with hardly any knowledge about the routing device.
How To Perform Linksys Velop Login?
The web interface of Linksys Router gives you the ability to change and modify settings of the router such as:
- Wi-Fi network name and password.
- Default network name.
- Username and password.
- Firewall settings.
- DHCP client addresses.
All these settings can be changed through the web interface of the router for which, you need to have login credentials. Here is how you can go about Linksys Router login process:
- Connect your PC/laptop to the network, which has to be the same network the Linksys router is on.
- Turn on your PC/laptop, launch a web browser and enter ‘192.168.1.1’ in the address bar. As you do so, a box will appear on the screen prompting you to enter your username and password in order to do Linksys Velop login.
- Enter your username in the ‘Username’ field. By default, the username field needs to be left blank, but in case, you have changed it, then you need to enter that username.
- Enter your password in ‘Password’ field, which by default is ‘Password’ only, but if you have changed it, then enter that new one.
- Click ‘Login’ and you will be able to successfully do Velop login.
How To Set Up A Wired Velop System?
Linksys Velop is a versatile system that can be easily connected with Ethernet cables. There are many benefits of having wiring nodes with the most prominent being the increase in the range and speed of Velop system and reduces the risk of any wireless interference.
When it comes to setting up additional nodes, then that will be done using a wireless connection. After Linksys Velop setup, you need to connect nodes by making use of Ethernet cables and then, the nodes are going to be switched to wire connection automatically.
Here are the steps for Velop setup using Ethernet cables:
- Set up the primary node using Linksys app, which is available for both iOS as well as Android devices.
- Using the Linksys app, you can include a secondary node via wireless setup.
- Upon completion of the Linksys smart wifi setup, move the secondary node to a new location where you think the signal would go weak. Then, connect the node to a power outlet.
- Connect the secondary node to primary one using an Ethernet cable. The modes switch to a wired connection on their own.
Note: Use CAT5e or other higher rated Ethernet cables
- In case, there are more nodes to add to the network, repeat 2nd and 3rd step. Once you set up the node in its intended location, connect it with an Ethernet cable to the node placed at a higher level.
With that, the process of setting up wired Velop system is successfully completed.
Note: Make sure to plug the nodes into a power source, as they don’t provide power over Ethernet, but are able to use either managed switches or their unmanaged counterparts.
How To Perform Linksys Velop Setup In Bridge Mode?
Setting up your Velop System in Bridge Mode allows you to add it with an existing Wi-Fi. If you have an existing router or modem/router combo and want to keep using it as a router, then you can include a Velop system to enhance its Wi-Fi coverage.
A Velop system won’t have its own separate network in the bridge mode. All nodes and client devices that are connected to Velop’s Wi-Fi or the current modem router will be on the same network and communicate with other devices present within the network.
Prerequisites for setting up Velop system in bridge mode:
- Set up Velop by going through the standard setup process. Once setup, you can switch to bridge mode.
- Keep in mind to install the most recent version of the Linksys app on your smartphone. Your Velop nodes need to be running the most recent firmware version. If you want to verify, access your dashboard in the Linksys app followed by going to Velop Admin. You can check the status of the firmware in the ‘Firmware Version’ section of the Velop Admin page. If there is an update available, then you will see information related to it in that particular section.
- Make sure to connect your smartphone to Velop’s Wi-Fi. If it is not, then you won’t be able to change the connection type to bridge mode in case, the device is remotely connected to the node.
Things to remember:
- In case, the initial Velop system features secondary nodes, which are already connected, then all other secondary nodes are going to work in bridge mode once you switch to it.
- Upon switching to bridge mode, you will be able to add more secondary nodes by selecting the ‘Set up a new product’ option.
- In case, you are looking to have your connected type changed to the previous mode or you want to disable bridge mode, go to ‘Navigation Menu’ followed by ‘Advanced Settings’ and then, ‘Internet Settings’. Once you reach until here, select ‘Connection Type’ and then, ‘Disable Bridge Mode’.
- When you are in bridge mode, a few features will be disabled, which include Wi-Fi MAC Filters, Device Prioritization, Speed Check, Device List, and Parental Controls.
Setting up Velop Wi-Fi System in Bridge Mode:
- Open Linksys app and go to its dashboard.
- Tap ‘Menu’ icon.
- Tap ‘Advanced’ Settings now followed by tapping ‘Internet Settings’.
- Once you reach thus far, tap ‘Connection Type’ arrow or field in the ‘Internet Settings’ page.
- Now, it’s time to change the connection type to Bridge Mode.
Note: In case, you are unable to see Bridge Mode option, check if you are using the most recent version of Linksys app version and your Velop nodes are also equipped with the most recent firmware.
- Tap ‘Save’.
- When you’re ready, tap ‘Enable Bridge Mode’.
As you save your settings, the devices may be connected for some time, but as you are online, you will be taken back to the dashboard of the app.
You will see ‘Your Velop is in the bridge mode’ on the dashboard of the app, which will confirm that your Velop system is in the bridge mode. After the node is set up in bridge mode, the primary node needs to be connected via an Ethernet cable to the existing router, whereas other nodes can be connected wirelessly or with an Ethernet cable.
What Are The Steps For Linksys Router Login?
Here is how you can log into your Linksys router using the router’s default IP and password.
Note: Make sure that the device you are using for router login must be on the network originating from Linksys router.
- Connect your computer to the internet and then connect it with the router using an Ethernet cable, especially when you don’t know the default password for wireless connectivity.
- Go to the default IP address of the router, which is either ‘192.168.1.1’ or ‘192.168.0.1’ in the address bar.
- Enter the login details for your Linksys router, comprising of your username and password. You can get these details on the router itself, or you can contact experts regarding the same.
- As you successfully login, you will see Linksys Web Interface/Control Panel. You can configure Linksys router and reset the router from there.
How To Personalize Velop’s WiFi Settings?
Linksys Velop System allows you to personalize your Wi-Fi system, but there are certain steps that you need to perform in order to do so:
- Launch the Linksys app and then, log in using your Linksys cloud account. Or, you can tap ‘login with Router password’ link rather than entering your admin password.
- Tap ‘Menu’ icon on the ‘Dashboard’ and then, tap ‘Wi-Fi Settings’.
- Tap the field that you would like to change followed by tapping ‘Save’.
- You can personalize Wi-Fi settings via Velop’s web interface as well. For that, you need to follow these steps:
- Log in to your Linksys Cloud account.
- Click ‘Wi-Fi Settings’ option under ‘Router Settings’.
- If you want to use the same Wi-Fi settings for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, then you can do so, or you can use different settings for each band.
- In case, you are using the same Wi-Fi settings, enter your preferred Wi-Fi name and password under ‘Wi-Fi settings’ option followed by selecting ‘Security mode’ and ‘Wi-Fi mode’.
- If using separate settings, click ‘Show More’ under ‘Wi-Fi settings’.
- Type in and select your preferred settings for each band.
- Once you are content with the settings, click ‘Apply’.
- When you see a window popping up in which you are asked to use different Wi-Fi names, then you need to click ‘Use different names’ option.
- When you see ‘you’re updating Wi-Fi settings’ window popping up on the screen, click ‘yes’.
- Click ‘Ok’.
With that, your Velop system restarts and all the devices will be disconnected from the internet for a moment and get back online automatically.
What Are The Steps For Linksys Smart WiFi Setup?
- Plug your router into a power outlet and turn it on. Check if you can see light on power light indicator or not.
- If you see, then connect an Ethernet cable from the mode to the internet port of the router.
- Connect your computer to the Wi-Fi network in the house. If you don’t know the Wi-Fi credentials, then you can find the same at the bottom of the router.
- On your computer, launch a web browser and enter ‘http://linksyssmartwifi.com’ in the address bar.
- Press ‘Enter’ and you will have to agree to the terms and conditions by ticking the box corresponding to ‘I have read & accepted the License Terms for using this software’ option.
- Click ‘Next’ and you will see a new window by the name of ‘Updates for your router’. You can uncheck the box corresponding to ‘install future router updates automatically (recommended)’ option if you don’t want the app to update automatically. You can enable this option after logging into the web-based setup page of the router.
- Click ‘next’ to move ahead with the process, i.e., enter your desired Wi-Fi name and password. Then, click ‘Next’.
- You will see that the 5GHz Wi-Fi name will be appended with _5GHz suffix.
- Connect to the Wi-Fi and go back to the setup.
- Now, click ‘Next’ and enter the password for the router in the field labelled as ‘Create a router password’.
- Click ‘Next’, and your router is set up. You will be redirected to ‘Create your Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Account’ page now.
How do log in into my Linksys router using www.linksyssmartwifi.com?
Here are the steps that you need to follow to log into your Linksys Smart WiFi Router using http://linksyssmartwifi.com – Linksys Smart Wifi Login page:
- On your computer, launch a web browser and go to ‘linksyssmartwifi.com’ in the address bar.
- You will see ‘login authentication’ page.
- Enter the default credentials now, which are ‘admin’ for both, the username as well as the password.
- Hit ‘Enter’ button and you will be directed to ‘BASIC’ home page.
Note: If www.linksyssmartwifi com’ link doesn’t work, try using ‘192.168.1.1’ in the address bar.
Frequently Asked Questions
1: How do you reset a Velop mesh?
Resetting a Velop mesh is very easy, as you just need to press and hold the ‘Reset’ button on the node while it is plugged into the wall outlet. As you press the button, the node will turn red and fade in pulses. Make sure not to release the button until the light goes out and changes into bright red.
2: How To Configure DNS Settings Of Your Velop Network?
- Log into the Velop Dashboard on the Linksys app.
- Tap ‘Navigation’ menu.
- Now, go to ‘Advanced’ settings followed by tapping ‘Local Network Settings’.
- Scroll down to DNS settings section followed by tapping on ‘>’ icon.
- ‘Auto’ is selected by default, so you need to select ‘Manual’ and then, enter the DNS settings.
- After entering the settings, tap ‘Save’.
3: Why is my Linksys Velop light red?
If you are seeing solid red light on your Velop device, then it means the system has lost connection to the internet. You will have to check the stability of the internet connection, which you can from the main modem because that’s where the parent node is connected.
4: How many Linksys Velops can I connect?
Linksys Velop is capable of handling up to 32 clients per node, so if there are 4 nodes, then those will be enough for 100-120 users. There hasn’t been any information as to how many nodes can be added, but Linksys officials have tested up to 6 nodes.
5: Where is WPS button on Linksys Velop?
WPS button is used pair the router with the extender, so if you are using Linksys Velop, then you can use the physical WPS button on your Linksys router or log into ‘extender.linksys.com’ in the address bar of your web browser. You can locate WPS button on the back or bottom panel of the router. Once found, press the button and connect your extender and router together.
6: How Do I Contact Linksys Velop Support?
While it is easy to fix most of the problems related to Linksys Velop, but if you are dealing with another problem, then you can directly get in touch with Linksys Velop support by calling at 800.326.7114.
- You can also check out ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ to find out solutions to most common Linksys Velop problems.
- You can indulge with the company’s technicians over a live chat. Here is the link to the live chat page – https://www.linksys.com/us/support/#product-chat.
- Reach out to experts via their Twitter handle, i.e., https://twitter.com/linksyscares.
- Take a look at their Community page as well for all the solutions. Here is the link to their Community page – https://community.linksys.com/?category.id=English.